The result was that many landless Dutch-speaking burghers (citizens) of the ZAR settled on the property and started making bricks. Soon the area was known either Brickfields or Veldschoendorp.Soon other working poor, Coloureds, Indians and Africans also settled there.Consequently, the township of Sophiatown was laid out in 1903 and Blacks were encouraged to buy property there.
The exact place was to be at the 8th milestone near the old Wayside Inn, owned by a Cornishman called John Albert Baragwanath.
The fledgling town of Johannesburg was laid out on a triangular wedge of "uitvalgrond" (area excluded when the farms were surveyed) named Randjeslaagte, situated between the farms Doornfontein to the east, Braamfontein to the west and Turffontein to the south.
In October 1887 the government of the South African Republic (ZAR) bought the south-eastern portion of the farm Braamfontein.
The town council decided to condemn the area and burn it down.
Beforehand most of the Africans living there were moved far out of town to the farm Klipspruit (later called Pimville), south-west of Johannesburg, where the council had erected iron barracks and a few triangular hutments. The fire brigade then set the 1600 shacks and shops in Brickfields alight. Pimville was next to Kliptown, the oldest Black residential district of Johannesburg and first laid out in 1891 on land which formed part of Klipspruit farm.
The Act required local authorities to provide accommodation for Natives (then the polite term for Africans or Blacks) lawfully employed and resident within the area of their jurisdiction.